Department Vision and Mission
The Social Studies Department at George Westinghouse High School prepares students to utilize the Social Sciences to enhance their critical thinking skills. They become active citizens who can function productively and be marketable in their post secondary careers within a rapidly changing and increasingly interdependent world.
Successful Social Studies students are able to:
- Think critically in a variety of settings.
- Identify biases and differing perspectives, and evaluate information objectively.
- Infer and draw conclusions.
- Persevere through difficulties to achieve desired goals/outcomes.
- Develop claims to support arguments.
- Cite and analyze evidence from primary and secondary sources to support claims.
- Determine whether or not sources are valid and credible.
- Analyze and interpret charts, graphs, tables, illustrations, and maps.
- Identify and understand public and community issues .
- Collaborate with others in a thoughtful way while respecting the differences of others.
- Participate as a citizen of a culturally diverse, democratic society in an interdependent world.
- Compare and contrast critical attributes in investigations.
- Identify cause and effect relationships in order to show not only what happened, but why it happened.
- Plan finances to sustain fulfilling and productive personal lives.