Department Vision and Mission
The goal of the Math department at Westinghouse is to prepare our students to confidently solve real-world problems by helping them build strategic competence and conceptual understanding to establish their abstract and critical thinking skills. We work to promote in students a habitual inclination to see mathematics as sensible, useful, and worthwhile.
Successful Math students are able to:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others.
- Model with mathematics.
- Use appropriate tools strategically.
- Attend to precision.
- Look for and make use of structure.
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning.